Teacher Training Program: A Structured Study Program
$60 per month (even during months when we do not meet for class)
The purpose of the Teacher Training Program is to provide an extensive presentation of particular subjects of Mahayana Buddhism to enable practitioners to deepen their knowledge and experience of Buddhism, and to train as qualified New Kadampa Tradition Teachers.
- The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
- Training the Mind, based on the commentaries Universal Compassion and Eight Steps to Happiness
- The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary Heart of Wisdom
- Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
- Types of Mind, based on the commentary Understanding the Mind
- Guide to the Middle Way, based on the commentary Ocean of Nectar
- Vajrayana Mahamudra, based on the commentary Clear Light of Bliss
- The Bodhisattva’s Moral Discipline, based on the commentary The Bodhisattva Vow
- Offering to the Spiritual Guide, based on the commentaries Great Treasury of Merit and Mahamudra Tantra
- Vajrayogini Tantra, based on the commentary Guide to Dakini Land
- Grounds and Paths of Secret Mantra, based on the commentary Tantric Grounds and Paths
- The Practice of Heruka Body Mandala, based on the commentary Essence of Vajrayana
Read Wishfulfilling Jewels for Dharma practitioners by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
The Teacher Training Program takes approximately twelve years to complete and requires an enrollment procedure.
The Commitments of the Foundation Program
Our General Program classes are offered on a drop-in basis and there are no requirements for attending. As a more structured program of study, the TTP does require students to make some basic commitments:
- Students keep the intention to attend every class during the TTP term (terms are August through late December and late January through June)
- Students read ahead and memorize the essential points of the text
- Students memorize the root text and/or the condensed meaning of the text
- Students take one exam per year to check their understanding of what they have studied
- Students attend at least one group meditation / chanted prayer session per week (group meditations are scheduled 7 days per week at various times)
- Students attend two sessions per day of our annual TTP retreats
- Students pay a $60 per month fee (including during months when TTP is not in session)
Studying via Correspondence
Students who live outside the Columbia area or who have a good reason for not being able to attend the Teacher Training Program can request to study via correspondence. Students receive MP3s of the teachings via e-mail and keep all the commitments of Teacher Training Program except for attendance of classes and chanted prayer sessions.
If you are interested in studying via correspondence, please contact us.